Announcing the WRLC Scholarship!
Are you, or do you know someone attending post-secondary education in September 2023? Are they a union member, or the child/ward of a union member based in the Waterloo Region? The Waterloo Regional Labour Council is proud to announce that applications for our annual WRLC Scholarships are open!
The Waterloo Regional Labour Council is proud to announce its scholarship program to support post-secondary students who are actively enrolled in any year of academic study on or after September 2023.
Awards are as follows:
- UP TO two (2) $1000 scholarships will be awarded to an active member OR the child/ward under the age of 25 as of September 1, 2023 of an active member of a local union affiliated to the Waterloo Regional Labour Council;
- One (1) additional $1000 scholarship MAY be awarded to an applicant meeting the criteria above OR it may be awarded to an active member of a union based in Waterloo Region OR the child/ward under the age of 25 as of September 1, 2023 of an active member of a union based in Waterloo Region NOT affiliated with the Waterloo Region Labour Council.
The criteria for selection of the scholarship winners will be based on:
- A completed application form;
- An original essay (approximately 500 words), poster (8.5” x 11” poster of original artwork), OR video submission (an imaginative, clever, and original two-minute video) in French or English on the topic: “how belonging to a union household has improved life”;
- Note: A copy of your official letter of admission and/or paid tuition receipt from your post-secondary program is required upon receipt of the award; for an apprenticeship, official documentation of your approved signed training agreement and/or the registration of your apprenticeship training is required upon receipt of the award.
The Waterloo Regional Labour Council is committed to social justice and equity and believes strongly that post-secondary education provides important opportunities that should not be limited by tuition fees or student debt. We hope this scholarship helps make education more affordable while we fight to make access universal. We proudly encourage women, people of colour, Indigenous peoples, 2SLGBTQIA+ people, people with disabilities, and those from other equity-seeking backgrounds to apply for this scholarship.
Completed applications must be submitted no later than June 30, 2023.